The Icarus Roof Conversion – There’s no denying the convenience of a rooftop tent, but that’s not to say the solution doesn’t have its shortfalls…
- You lose the ability to pack bulky items on your roof-rack
- It may raise your vehicle’s center of gravity
- Reduces aerodynamics, and…
- May prevent access to underground parking
But most of all, a hard top rooftop tent doesn’t quite provide as many benefits as an all-out camper solution, where you get to enjoy simultaneous access to your tent, as well as your vehicle’s kitchen / storage area – no matter how bad the weather. Well, that’s where our roof conversion comes in…
It’s also worth noting that the Icarus roof conversion is 100% reversible, so should you wish to migrate the kit to another Defender, or simply restore your vehicle to its original state, you have that option, too.
The roof conversion does away with having to climb up and down ladders, and also frees up packing space where you now have the option of mounting a full-size roof-rack. Bear in mind, however, that packing heavy items on top of your vehicle’s roof will affect how easy it is to open, so some experimenting will be needed to determine what works for you.
Otherwise, the roof takes seconds to unlatch and open, and thanks to the flip-up bed and mattress, you not only have access to your clothing and cupboards, you also get to stand upright while changing. Lastly, the roof can be closed with all your bedding inside, which means you never have to deal with stuffing away a sleeping bag, and you don’t have to find packing space for your duvet and pillows. Provided your bedding is relatively neat and flat, it’s all stored up top and is just a latch-and-flip away.
Overlanding has never been so easy, so convenient, and so unbelievably capable. It’s the ultimate overland solution for two ultimate overland vehicles.
LOAD RATING FOR CARGO RAILS ON ICARUS ROOF:
The load rating for the cargo rails on the roof is 50kg. It is important to note that where the load is located on the roof, will determine how easy or difficult it is to open the tent.
It is always suggested to shift heavier loads towards the front of the tent, and much lighter loads, like a solar panel, to the rear.
- Length: 2 800 mm
- Width: 1 420 mm
- Height: 360 mm
- Added Height (original roof line): 180 mm
- Weight: 125 kg
- Construction: Aluminium
- Colours: Black, White
- Fabric: 400 gram UV-resistant, rip-stop, waterproof canvas with sealed seams
- Roof Insulation: Polyethylene closed-cell foam & black insulating quilt
- Mattress Dimensions: 2 400 mm (L) x 1 300 mm (W) x 70 mm (Thick)
- Internal Lighting: Two stork lights for reading + Four LED diffused lights
- Cargo Capacity: Integrated roof cargo tracks allow for small roof-rack or Alu-Cab load bars.
- Awnings’s can also be fitted to the side of the unit.